Monday, October 11, 2010

What, exactly, is in a Name?

Names are fascinating, aren't they? They are the first thing your parents gave you and a big part of your life. When someone says anything that sounds even slightly like my name, I straighten up and temporarily put my life on hold. (Well, when I am at my obedient best!) A name is something that is kept for life, mostly. I have detailed lists of names I would give to my future children, which I update and revise often. :) Yesterday at church, my friends and I had an animated conversation about the good and bad of names. Good times. Okay, I will stop the rambling and get to the point.

Now, as you may know or have guessed, Margaret Rowena is not my real name. I have thought of using my true life name as my Blogger name, but decided against it. Besides, I have grown rather used to Margaret Rowena. That's what happens after eight months of blogging! I want to share with you what it means and why I chose it.

Margaret~ This is my real-life middle name. 'Margaret' means 'pearl'. I chose it because it makes my false name a bit more real to me.

Rowena~ I chose this name because I think it's pretty. Is that a good reason? :) Although it does make my blogger name a dramatic six syllables! I have seen lots of different meanings attached to it: white mane (?), well-known friend, fame, and joy. Wow, I don't think I could live up to this name!

So those are my web names. Now, for the sake of this post, I will give you a real name of mine.

Mia~ This what I commonly go by, but it is still a nickname off my real real name. Confused? I am too. ;) Mia is an Italian name that means 'mine'. I think that's a great meaning and look at it as "I belong to God." Which I do. :)
I know that most people pronounce this one 'mee-ah', but I say it like 'my-ah'. More confusion! Ahhh!!

Moving on. . .

Writers and non-writers, what are your opinions of pen names? I am fine with my name, but not sure how good it would look on a fantasy book cover. And there are some pretty amazing author's names out there, right? Think of Nicholas Sparks. That name is just too good to be true! If you were to be published, would you use one?

~~~~
My apologies about the meandering-ness of this post! I feel out of practice with blogging for some reason. And thank you Kaley Grace, Squeaks, Lady Greenleaf, Katie Dean, Lily, and Emily for following my blog! I hope you enjoy it.

Au revoir! I am off to cheer for my favorite NFL team! :)

~Margaret Rowena

10 comments:

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

I do enjoy your blog a ton!!

If I were to publish a book, I probably use my real name (which, obviously) is nothing like my pen name XD

I chose Squeaks because it's a fun nickname that has a LOT of good times attached to its meaning. For instance, Squeaks is the nickname given to me by my dad after I went on a near 1 month craze over squirrels. I had a squirrel hand puppet (which I used to terrorize my youth group), I was in love with Scrat (from ice-age), and a youth leader was making everyone laugh when he did his "squirrel" voice. Thus, Squeaks stuck...I've considered changing it, but I too have grown used to my pen name :)

Squeaks.

Caroline said...

Names mean so much to me, too! Especially in books.

I seem to find a new meaning for "Caroline" (my real name) every time I look it up.:) One of them is "beautiful woman." Another was "little and womanly" which I think is funny since I'm 5'8"! :D

Lily said...

Well, I liked that 'meandering' post! Names have always fascinated me. And my blogger name is not my real one, either. :)
Oh, and thanks for the shout out! I already totally love your blog.

Lily said...

Oh, and I really like pen names! Well, unless you have a cool enough name. Your blogger name would make a great pen name, btw. =D

Anonymous said...

I like this post! I don't know how I feel about pen names....maybe I would use one just because I don't like my real name. :P

Caroline said...

Pen names...hmm, I have to say, I'm definitely using my real name when I get my book published, cause I really like my last name and think it goes nicely with my first.:)

Emily Ann said...

I love pen names! I'm just not sure if I'd ever publish under one because it's kind of hard to advertise your book if everyone knows your real name. -sigh- So if I ever get published I'll use my real name.

Names mean a lot to me, in writing and in real life. I'll usually name a character one thing in the begining then change it half way through because the meaning doesn't match the person.

Yeah, that was a totally rambling comment but that's how I've been lately (You should see the email I just wrote to my friend, talk about rambling!)

In Christ,
Emily

Kaley Grace said...

Great post! (I love the name Margaret, by the way. So sweet and sophisticated!)

I've always loved names...when I used to write plays/stories, picking out the characters names was my FAVORITE part. I can't wait to name my kids...

Hmm, if I had a pen name, it'd probably be Brooke. I've always loved that name!

Marianela said...

My opinion for pen names are quite fascinating, if you ask me. ;) They can be mysterious, fun, inspirational, and unique!

I've had many pen names over the years when I was seriously thinking about publishing a book. There were:
Ginger Lasky
M.E.H
Marty H.
and other names that I can't remember at the moment.

My blog "Beloved Star" is the meaning of my 'real' full name. How's that for creativity?! ;D
Take Care! :)

Ellyn said...

Yay! I FINALLY know your real name, Mia! ;0) jk

I used my real name cause I like its unique spelling. Plus, the name I previously used turned out to be...uh...ominous. I'm sure you've heard that story...

"Ellyn" is a form of "Helen" and it means "Light!"

When I was a little girl (literally) my pen name was "Kat Evans".... if I used one now it would be Brynn Shiloh :)