Thursday, October 28, 2010

A friendly conversation?

Today, I am going to show you a conversation I had with one of my characters. I saw Gwyn and Ellyn do this a few months ago and highly enjoyed their conversations. :) Today, my conversational partner is Cadish, my MC for my NaNo novel. Enjoy!

Margaret: Hi Cadish! How are things?

Cadish: Uhh, fine. But why are you grimacing?

Margaret: *fake smile* No reason! Anyway, how are you? Do you like my blog?

Cadish: Your blog is fine, but come on! Something's wrong with you. You can tell me. If you want. And I want you to.

Margaret: You almost sounded threatening right there. But... since you seem so eager, fine, I will tel you what's on my mind. But you may be offended...

Cadish: I am thick skinned, and you know that. Now stop stalling and continue.

Margaret: *laughs* I don't know what I was thinking when I made you bossy. But seriously, something is off in our relationship. Why is it that I really have to think about it before I start being your friend? Why are you so... distant?

Cadish: Whoa, wait a sec. You are asking me why you don't like me? This is a super awkward position, you know! Should I just start listing all my faults? Let's see here, I can be proud, bossy-

Margaret: *interrupts* No, no, it's not like that. You are just so confident, unafraid, beautiful-

Cadish: *interrupts right back* You speak as though those traits were my evils! Am I a vain, egotistical, show off or something?

Margaret: *frustrated* NO! Cadish! We have to become friends, and within the next three days, too. So let's just start over. *clears throat* Hi, my name is Margaret! How are you doing?

Cadish: *scornful* This is stupid. I have known you since my whole life. You are the one that started my life! How can you expect me to just 'start over' and look at you with new eyes?

Margaret: Lightbulb moment! cadish, we are just such different personalities! That's why we can't connect!

Cadish: Ahh, I think you have it. But what now? We can't change ourselves or each other at this point.

Margaret: Okay, you're right. We just need to see past each others faults and differences, like true friends do.

Cadish: *interested* Wait a second! That word you used! 'Okay'? What in both out worlds does that mean? It sounds interesting....

Margaret: *scrambling to right the mistake* Nothing! Nothing important. It's just, ah, a silly nonsense word. Forget I said it. *pauses, then darkly* And don't you ever say it again. If by some whim of fate I lose control of you and you repeat that word, oh, the sky will fall in and all will perish.

Cadish: *unconvinced* Yeah. Right.

Margaret: *becoming desperate* Please, Cadish! Just trust me. Listen, we got really off topic. We were supposed to friends, right?

Cadish: *Hopelessly*But if we have to work this hard to be friends, maybe we should we just give up.

Margaret: No! Cadish, we are spending the next month together in very close quarters. Either we love or we hate each other. And I think we should go for the former. So let's not give up.

Cadish: You sound like that person I have heard of named Dr. Phil. You writers live in a strange world, do you know that? But I am willing to be your friend. Just please don't do anything too brutal to me!

Margaret: I wouldn't be worried. As far I can see, you stay pretty intact throughout the story. But I am thinking of changing your name...

Cadish: What?! But my name is... special!

Margaret: Don't take this wrong, but it really isn't. When I first thought of you, I just took a name off of my "name list" and attached it to you. And I bet people read it as "Ca-dish", not its true "Cay-dish".

Cadish: *subdued* Well, maybe you're right. But you need to replace it with something really good.

Margaret: Don't worry, I will try to. And remember, I may not even rename you after all.

*Not awkward pause in conversation*

Cadish: *happily* You know, I really am looking forward to November.

Margaret: Good! I am too. Well, it has been lovely talking to you, dear girl!

Cadish: *skeptical again* Dear girl? What am I, your pet? Are you trying to sucker me into some evil trap or something?

Margaret: *manically yelling* CADISH!! PLEASE COOPERATE! Oh, where is a knife? I feel the need for a dramatic death scene. Should it be mine or yours? I think yours.

Cadish: Alright! I doubt you would actually whack me off, but alright. I will behave.

Margaret: Truly?

Cadish: *honestly* Yes. We will be friends, even if it kills both of us.

Margaret: *smiling broadly* Then I will see you in November.

~~~~
Haha, that was fun. If you are having trouble connecting with your characters' having a conversation really helps. :) Hey, did you check out my new art page? What do you think?

Thanks for reading!

~Margaret

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's really cool! ;)

Lily said...

lol, that was fun to read!!!

~Lily

Ellyn said...

*cracks up*

That is SO funny! :D :D :D

I can't wait for your story....btw, I love Cadish's name. But I do think we had that conversation before :)