Saturday, October 16, 2010

November cometh

Fact #1: NaNoWriMo is 15 days away.

Fact #2: Margaret is shamefully unprepared.

Can she do it? Can this waif of a writer truly pound out 50,000 words in 30 days? Oy, I am nearly frightened. This is my first attempt ever at the great achievement: the title of novelist. *sighs*

I first learned about NaNo through my friends Evergreena and Hepzibah, during many animated conversations on the way to and from homeschool band. Good memories. I remember sitting in the band's break room during November, watching them passionately peck at their laptops. I loved watching them and hearing about their stories and woes that came with them. I thought, I will do that someday. When I turn 13.

Well, I have been past 13 for two years and still haven't done NaNo. I am not sure why. But now, in 2010, I am aspiring to do it. *trumpet tune*

I have speculated much over which of my story ideas to do, and settled on this one. I have tried many forms of outlining, but nothing was working. I tried many times to do the Snowflake, but I felt like such a loser when I couldn't see very far ahead in the story. Then I found these questions, which are a golden treasure. Sure, it's not quite outlining, but they are helping me get to know the world better, so they are winners.

But they are only winners if I actually do them! I have been procrastinating, preferring my favored story to my NaNo one. Why don't I just do that favored one for NaNo, you say? Honestly, I can't bring myself to. It has grown too near to my heart to subject it to the ferocity of NaNo. I would love to tell you more about it later, though. :)

Anyway, I have just snooped around the NaNoWriMo website and found some lovely inspiration to keep going (even though November hasn't started yet. . .), and now I will chain myself to my desk and get some more ideas for this novel!!

So, are you going to be a NaNoWriMo participant as well? Are you as scared as I am? Do you have any advice for this desperate writer? I would love to hear your thoughst on November!

Want to add me as your NaNo buddy? Click here!

2 comments:

Mackenzie A. Lockhart said...

I've never done NaNo and I don't think I ever will (for several reasons lol), so I don't have really any good information for you about writing plots in short time periods. I tend to form my plot as I write :) It helps me get to know my characters better first and then determine what they would do.

Squeaks.

Anonymous said...

Hey Margaret! I just added you as a writing buddy! My username is Nash10. :)