Tuesday, June 8, 2010

A higher calling? Oh yeah.

I love heroes. Stories like The Lord of the Rings infatuate me. In those stories, the good guys are fighting with they got against a great, dark, evil enemy. Their purpose is noble: keep the world free and peaceful. And when I read the trilogy or other books like it, I want so badly to somehow get into the story, like go through Lucy's wardrobe or something, and experience it for myself. But, as I far as I've experienced, that isn't possible. So I would get rather sad. I thought that I was doomed to a life of wishful thinking and empty dreams.

But I am not.

God has given me, and all Christians, a chance to do something nobler than the heroes and heroines in fiction get to do: I get to help fight His battles:

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against rulers, against authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. -Ephesians 6:12

God is allowing me to fight in a war which has an eternal outcome. We by ourselves are not strong enough to fight in this war, but God gives us the strength we need through the Bible and constant contact with Him. And this is not a war with a possibly hopeless and uncertain outcome; God is going to win this one.

They will make war on the Lamb, and the Lamb will conquer them, for he is the Lord of lords and King of kings, and those with him are called and chosen and faithful. -Revelation 17:14

4 comments:

*Lizzie* said...

WOW! Your exactly right! I really like how you put this post together! :)


*Lizzie*

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with you on not being able to get into the books and fighting alongide the heroes, and then i think, oh yeah, i'm a Christian, I am fighting with the heroes.
way cool post!!!!

emily said...

Amen!

Rachel Kimberly said...

Victory! Eulalia!

I've always wished that I could jump into a book and join the adventure (and when I was little, I thought that actually might be possible!). Thank you for this wonderful post!

Your blog is lovely! And thank you for putting me on your "Very Cool Blogs" list. *grin*