Wednesday, June 23, 2010

A dilemma


Have you ever been overwhelmed by books? You know, felt like there is so much to read, too much to read? That you should be reading the classics, like Dickens and Dostoyevsky, to improve your education, but you want to read some fantasy for fun? That's what I am feeling like today. The above picture is of all the library books I have out right now, their total number being 12. I have started five of them already, spastically reading one whenever I feel like it, along with the couple of books I have started here at home. So I probably have bookmarks in eight different books right now, not counting earlier today when I picked up The Outsiders to page through it and remind myself of the characters (I actually didn't put it down until chapter five or so).

Anyway, my point here is that sometimes reading loses it magic and becomes a hectic scheduling chore: Let's see here, if I read one chapter of Peter Pan, half a chapter of Gone With the Wind, five pages of Crime and Punishment, and several chapters of The Door Within, then I can count today as one that was profitable. Tomorrow I can do different books. Oh, and need to write some of my own book today, too. Maybe I can scribble something this evening.

I am tired of restricted reading! Today, I will read what I want to read, when I want to read it. Who's with me? :)

P.S.- If you have read any of the books in the picture and thought that they were really good or really bad, I would love to hear about it!

Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Rachel Kimberly said...

LOL! I know what you mean! I've always struggled a giant "to-read" pile. Lately I've been trying to balance classics, fantasy, AND several non-fiction books. *sigh* I finally decided to pick one, read it all the way through, then move on.

And yes, I've read several of the books in the picture... *ahem*
Peter Pan-- I love this book! I think it's better than any of the movies. I've read it dozens of times. And the version you've got there... it has GREAT illustrations. That's the version I own. :)

The Arkadians-- It's a little weird, but fun. A rollicking good adventure, with many retellings of Greek myths.

The Door Within-- Great fantasy! :) It's got some similarities to Narnia, but it also has some great differences.

Alice in Wonderland-- Personally, I didn't like it, but maybe that's just me. I know lots of people that love it.

Robert Frost -- Great poetry. My favorites are "Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening," and... I forgot the name of the other one, but I think it was about apple-picking or something.

How can you not love Robin Hood? I think I've read that version, but I'm not sure. (I've read so many different versions!)

When it comes to writing... Don't worry about reading too much. In my experience, reading has GREATLY helped me as a writer.

Oh, by the way, have fun!

Anonymous said...

I feel that way a lot!!!! Glad to know I'm not the only one! :)

I don't think I've ever read any of those books, but I have heard bad things about "Speak". I saw a review of it once and the person said it had some inappropriate content in it. I don't know if that kind of stuff bothers you, but I just wanted to let you know!

~Shaynie

Kylie said...

I know exactly what you mean! I always have too many books piling up on my desk :)
By the way, thanks for your comment, I agree with you, it is sad. And thanks, I am still working on the template though...But it's coming along!
~Kylie~

Mia said...

Thank you for the heads up! Now I can dive into that pile with opened eyes...