Saturday, April 2, 2011

What just happened?

I say . . . is March over already?

It was beautiful. It was a blur, too. Time pulls pranks like that.

1. Novel


I finished the first draft of my first novel, and it was glorious. At least, it was for the first evening. The next day, reality struck and I realized that I should probably read it before designing the cover and crowing about this wondrous story to everyone I know. After a quick page through, I became subtle pretty quickly. I realized that the novel, all 97,000 words of it, were not exactly what I had in mind when I thought of Best Novel Ever.

So I am going to set it aside and wait to read it. Then I'll consider editing.

The same night I finished the novel, a new idea came to the beginning of its potential in my head. And that is what I work on while I wait to reach emotional stability with Cadish the White. (Don't worry, a new title is on its way!)

I am in the process of honest-to-goodness outlining for this new idea, which is something new for me. After hardly outlining for Cadish, I knew that I didn't want to go through the annoying, wandering process of writing a novel like that again.

So I am happily reading books on the craft of structure, thinking of plot twists and character backgrounds, and being generally relaxed as I iron out a new story to write. This is the photo that really reminds me of my new project:

I don't want to jinx myself, but . . . I am pretty happy with the prospect of the array of new people and places at the fingertips of my mind. And I love outlining. Just had to add that.

2. Random Photography

50/365 enmity
Misty and Daisy get reacquainted during Daisy's visit. Don't worry, attitudes improved from there.


run x3
Yesterday at grandparents' house, enjoying the April weather.


67/365 ancient
I visited my oldest brother's college for the first time last week, and this pretty cross was in town as well. Anybody know how to read old runes? I'd love to know what it says.


3. Adventures
I managed to not kill myself and the driving instructor during my first behind the wheel! I was having such a blast in the school's little Scion . . . compared to my family's big ol' van that I practice on, that car was a dream come true.

I also completed my lifeguard course from the Red Cross! *rejoicing* It was intense and challenging, but not so much that it was awful. The training videos were almost as funny as they were serious (I crack up every time I see an AED now), I got to know some fun people, and on top of that, I know how to lifeguard.

And . . . I got some new dreams for the future. My other brother's (Hmm, I think I called him James last time I mentioned him) collegefornextyear had a student/parent(sister) intro day, and I loved seeing the place and watching James get excited to go. It was so interesting. I could prattle for hours and hours and hours . . .

4. Goodness
So we do not lose heart. Though our outer nature is wasting away, our inner nature is being renewed day by day. For this slight momentary affliction is preparing us for an eternal weight of glory beyond all comparison, as we look not to the things that are seen but to the things that are unseen. For the things that are seen are transient, but the things that are unseen are eternal. ~2 Corinthians 4:16-18

I don't suffer as much "momentary affliction" as the people who read this first did, but it is good--so good--to know that my God is strong enough to strengthen me day by day, all the time, and that He has so much good in store for me. It's good to know that He loves me.

Enjoying springtime,

~Margaret

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Glad you're back Margaret! I've missed you. ;)