Thursday, April 28, 2011

The Unlikely Dilemma

For Novel #1, I tried planning it. It didn't quite work, but that was alright in the circumstance. I wrote the novel, it was 300+ pages, 97,000+ words, and very gawky. Think leggy colt in place of grand stallion. The experience was remarkably satisfying anyway, but reading, much less editing, a manuscript as wandering as that one can be pretty tedious stuff.

So this time around, for Novel #2, I find myself fiercely adhering to the idea that says If I don't have a plan, writing is a sin.

Every writer has different modes of crafting. I think that mine would be in the middle of the spectrum: I want a plan, but I am currently incapable of conjuring one up.

Now, this may be a sign of a weak imagination--if it is, I'll cope with that. Or maybe it's a sign of hesitation. 'If it isn't going to work, don't build it.'

But aren't iffy experiments and risky ideas an integral part of writing fiction?

Could I really write a satisfying ending that is completely ambiguous?

If I could, I would. But can I? Not sure . . . yet.

As a novelist, I work best when I have a goal, an end my characters need to reach. Right now, at the edge of the trenches of outlining Novel #2, there isn't one. So my work is slow and hesitating.

Tonight, I am definitely eager to forge ahead with my novel. It's enticing and exciting, in all its unknowns. But this eagerness, if its gonna stay, will mean my planning without an end in mind. I'll need to embrace those unknowns.

This has major disaster potential.

You may watching the beginning of this novelist's demise as a sane person . . . or maybe this is the beginning of a delightful new freedom to work in.

Buckling her seat belt,
Margaret

PS--I just reread the post I wrote a few weeks ago when this novel idea was only a few days old and I was completely impassioned. I confess to being guilty of flippancy.

2 comments:

Keaghan said...

Way to go on starting another novel, Margaret! Don't get discouraged in the plotting stage--The novel I'm working on editing now is my first novel, but it's gone through such severe revisions that it doesn't seem much like the 1st draft anymore...characters have changed, plot has changed, etc. And guess what? When I started, I had NO plotting. And as I continued, I only had a vague idea of how it would end. It solidified as I went.

If you're like me, (a very visual person,) you might want to try FreeMind for your plotting. I had struggled with plotting in WORD documents (bullet point list,) but it never really "clicked" with me. I found FreeMind (Off of Ara's suggestion on shilah,) and I love it. It's a free mind mapping software. I love it! I can color-code, organize, insert whatever I need to...etc! In the mind map I'm working on now--for a retelling of a legend--I have all my characters and their basic info on the right side, and my plot-in-progress on the left. You might want to check FreeMind out. It might take a bit of getting used to, but for me, it was worth it.

Keep going! Remember..."We are all apprentices in a craft where no one becomes a master." :)

Ellyn said...

It's like your "quote of the day": "Look back, and smile on perils past." - Walter Scott

Good luck outlining! It's hard ... :P