Friday, February 25, 2011

Au Revoir is not a bad thing.

Yesterday, my friend Ellyn wrote about this really cool looking challenge. I am going to take it up as well! It requires having a break from media: blogs, Facebook, and Flickr for me. You get 15 minutes a day for personal emailing, and 5 emergency minutes for whatever incredibly pressing matters come up. Legalistic and boring? No! Because this challenge is all about the most exciting thing ever: growing in Jesus. Read more about the challenge here: http://lovingthelord.org/. Look for the Winter Media Minimization Challenge.

So aside from spending time with the Lord, what will I be up to during the cold, windy, grey last days of winter? I'll read novels (I am getting back into my old favorites...so many good memories come with reading them), write my novel (I am thinking of changing genres with it), practice driving (I got my learner's permit today! Yeeeehawww!), practice the guitar and piano and violin (which means Coldplay, Chopin, and Vivaldi. But challenges are good, right?), and photograph stuff. I say that last thing because . . .

I found my camera, intact and pink as ever! Elusive, darling little blighter. Our two-year anniversary is coming up pretty soon, and I am considering throwing a party. Just kidding. :)

But I am so happy to have it--a camera's a camera, after all. I just saw an ad in a magazine for some snazzy cameras that said something like, "You don't have to be an amazing photographer to take amazing photos." It kinda frustrated me.... I mean, photography is an art form! Leonardo da Vinci's paint brushes may have had some impact on his art, but it certainly wasn't their genius that made the Mona Lisa.

Where was I going with this? Oh yeah... Just because a camera doesn't have lens capabilities or megapixels to beat the band, it should and will take pictures. But that's all it does. The person who envisions, sees, and composes the shot that it takes is the one who makes the photograph. Not having the aforesaid advantages in your camera/paintbrush is another challenge that, when overcome, will make victory all the more sweet.

So there I have it. A philosophy for my photography. Does this mean that I no longer want a DSLR? No. But does this mean that I am going to simply sigh and wish like a ninny? No, no, no! I am so blessed . . . why give up joy in even one area of my life?

Anyway, sorry for rambling like that. That was a blog post within a blog post. :)
~~~~
We all know that Au Revoir means "Until we meet again", instead of the mostly-ghastly "Goodbye forever". I think that it's one of the most lovely French phrases out there.

So . . .

Au revoir, mon amis, et je t'aime tous!
Until we meet again, my friends, and I love you all!
~Margaret
,

And because it's the rare post that is complete without a photograph . . . I give you one of my favorite photos so far this year. :)

{19/365}

4 comments:

Claudia said...

Good for you! will miss your posts, but think of what you will gain in the silence :)
glad to hear you found your camera so you can visually record your month - see you Sunday :D

Ellyn said...

Cool! Hey - you want to be accountability partners for the challenge? My mom's doing it too so we're kind of partners but I don't know if she counts or not.

And you got your permit! Have you been out drivin' yet? Yesterday, I actually crossed a highway and went over railroad tracks. :O :O And I'm STILL ALIVE! Can you believe it?? :D :D

I adore your photo!
Love!

Ellyn

Mia said...

Awh, you two are so sweet! Ellyn, I would love to be partners for the challenge! It will be great. :D

No, I haven't gone driving yet...but I really want to give it a go! The next sunny day that rolls around will hopefully be the one. Oooh, I am feeling a tit nervous. :)

Until tomorrow!

Brooke said...

:)