Thursday, April 21, 2011

Looking Backwards

Q: What do digital files and good wine have in common?
A: Absolutely nothing.

Okay, my mom didn't think it was funny either.

Since I got into photography a couple of years ago, it's been common to unload the memory stick onto the computer hard drive. Well, after a couple years of rather steady uploads, things get boggy on the computer. So I've been ruthlessly and poignantly going through the accumulated files, deleting a lot, but keeping plenty, too. I have been learning that:
~Digital files do not improve with age. (See above riddle.)
~I take a lot of incredibly useless photos.
~Movie files don't have to be 1080p to be huge.
~It's perfectly okay to delete stuff. It's even delightfully fulfilling! Keep positive and think of all the better photos you'll have room for. :)

A lot of memories come surging back with each folder I cull. Here are some of them, not quite in chronological order.


June 2009: Camping up North. This pretty trail is at one of my favorite state parks.


June 2009: Sunny summer evenings in the backyard.


July 2009: FLOWERS. There are--were--scores and scores of flower shots on the hard drive. I had fun taking them, but . . . most of them were positively mediocre. I was okay with sending most to the recycle bin, but there were some I had to keep. One of the interesting facets to this operation has been to see the evolution of my photographic eye and taste.

October 2009: Aftermath of a morning rainstorm. This photo is one of my favorite finds of the deletion sprees.


April 2010: Successful library visit! Love those. :)


April 2010: Springtime sunset from my deck.


April 2009: Trip to the state capitol to show our conservative colors at a Tea Party! There were so many amusing banners that evening. They ranged from witty to angry to sardonic . . . most of them were likable. :) I am not sure who made this one.


March 2010: Spontaneous trip to the art museum with my brother. Mmm, that was such a fun day. He needed to find a painting to write a paper on for art class, and we scoured every section looking for the right one.
~~~~
There are a lot more, but I'll stop here. It's been great to take photos and document memories over the last few years . . . nostalgia reigns today!

Love,
Margaret

7 comments:

Claudia said...

ugh, will you come and help me next :(? good for you though, I have now spilled over onto and external hard drive and then some :( I seriously need to do this asap!

Keaghan said...

Wow, Margaret, we seem to have a lot in common! I just finished the 2nd draft of my first novel in September of 2010...When I saw the pictures of your room from NaNoWriMo--your desk with CD player, ignored schoolwork, French book, the G2 pen, paper, etc--it reminded me of my writing setup. (I love those pens...) :D

PS: Did you enjoy Crime & Punishment? I read it for school last year and enjoyed it!

~Keaghan

Keaghan said...

In response to your comment on my blog:

It's a pleasure to meet you, too! Crime & Punishment was great. Do you like Dickens or Hugo? They're my favorite authors...right now. ;)

No, I've never done NaNoWriMo. I haven't been able to commit the time to it. I tend to write every day for a little while. Now, I'm doing heavy editing and reworking some plots/characters.

Long live G2s! :D

Alice said...

oh yes, this is so me;) Sometimes I end up spending up to an hour trying to delete unwanted or unused pictures. Sometimes it's fun. Other times- not so much;)
haha!!

So, I just found your blog. It's so cute! Your a great photographer:D Keep it up!!

... I'm so following:D

Katy said...

Hi, you have a really nice blog! I found it by doing a bit of surfing. I'm adding myself as your newest follower and I hope that you'll check out my blog as well.

:)

♫book blogger said...

You have a neat blog!

Keaghan said...

In response to your comment: Of Dickens, I've read Great Expectations and A Tale of Two Cities and LOVED them both. :) I also read Les Miserables <3.

If you like musicals, you ought to look up the 25th anniversary Les Mis concert. (25th anniversary of the musical based on the book--very faithful to the novel!) Be warned, some of the songs have...*ahem* language, especially when dealing with Fantine and her life. :\ But the song "Bring Him Home" is just awesome and completely clean. It's Valjean singing. Don't watch until you've read the book...unless you don't mind spoilers.

Have fun with your outlining! I know how great it is when you have a new idea. :D