Monday, August 16, 2010

The Writer's Tag


The Writer's Tag



What do you write your stories on?
College-ruled filler paper in my binders, with BicMatic pencils.

What is your favorite kind of character?
To write? A dark one. To read? A unique-without-being-proud one! I really like Eragon.

When you're asked what your story is about, what is your usual reaction?
"Oh, it's a fantasy. Hey, how is your sister doing?" I hate talking about my story, except to a very certain few.

What is your biggest writing pet peeve?
A disorganized binder! And excessive exclamation points. I once heard that one ! to every 20,000 words was enough. I am not that extreme, but my writing does lose its potency when every other sentence ends like this! Or like this! How about this?!! And when the word 'okay' is used in fantasy and historic fiction. That word wasn't coined until the 1920's.

What is the biggest turn-off for you when reading a book?
An epic character that botches the job. Example: the Glimpse warriors in The Door Within.

Your favorite era in history?
After I read Johnny Tremain, it was the American Revolution. Then I read The Scarlet Pimpernel, and it was the French Revolution. But I remain fascinated with the rule of the Roman Empire. (Probably due to the Farsala trilogy...)

How many words on average do you punch out in one sitting?
I have no idea. It varies, I guess. I usually fill a page and a half, front and back, of notebook paper.

Are you a fast typist?
No, I can't type without pecking. ;)

What do you do for inspiration?
Read LotR, look at the sky in the evening, listen to George Winston.

The truest writing quote you've ever heard:
JUST WRITE! -My encouraging friend

Do you outline your stories?
I tried. I failed.

Is there someone in your life who shares your love of writing and whom you could spend hours talking about that very subject with?
The first person to come to mind is Ellyn, and my writers group minions. But I really, truly have a hard time talking about my story or writings.

Where do you write?
At my desk, in front of my window, during the sunset.

Why do you write?
Because... it feels good? I want to be published? No, it's not for those reasons. I write because my stories are all mine and my characters are my friends.

If you are a writer, I tag you! The rules are simple: just add two new questions of your own at the end. And leave a comment telling me if you do it- I would love to see your answers!

~~~~~
Camp was so very fun. I will post pictures soon!

Au revoir, my friends! (Oh snap, that was an exclamation point, wasn't it? ;)

~Margaret Rowena

3 comments:

Ellyn said...

I'm glad we're writing buddies :) I'm also glad you're back from camp.
And I used no exclamation points in this comment just for you. :)

- Ellyn

Anonymous said...

I totally agree about exclamation points. They take the punch out of writing!

(just kidding with that exclamation point) :)

Mia said...

You guys are so great to be sensitive about my exclamation point thing. XD