Friday, May 13, 2011

Yard Sale

Today, for the first time in recent history, this family hosted a yard sale.

garagesale 022-2

It was, like so many of our decisions, an impromptu one. Earlier this week , mom announced her intentions and asked us to gather up the items that weren't thrilling or riveting or useful to us anymore. There was quite the accumulation, not too surprisingly. :)

garagesale 006-2

This morning, my sister and I made a sign and everyone helped haul the stuff out onto the driveway, where tables were set up. Toys on one, clothes on another, and tools, books, and miscellany had their place too. We even had some fine second-hand pool lane dividers up for grabs, free of charge! Getting stuff like that is one of the fringe benefits of having a brother who's a lifeguard. Meh. ;)

garagesale 005-2

It was a grey, chilly day. I hunkered down with Jane Austen and mugs of tea, and people did end up coming.

garagesale 010-2

No one wants my old EasyBake oven. I wish they would. ;)

Shoes were a rather popular item . . .

garagesale 019-2

We're the family that a lot of other families give their grown-out-of clothes to. Jeans especially, it seems!

garagesale 020-2

garagesale 014-2

Someone paid $3 for the Yamaha keyboard I grew up with. I almost told him he couldn't have it after all. But I'm glad I didn't . . . he seemed pretty pleased by it.
Friends from church gave our antique dining room chairs a new home.
Someone else, who might be an angel, offered to recycle those useless and pesky pool dividers for us. I was thrilled to see them go.

And it was fun! A change of pace, a way to cast off the unneeded, and a way to meet people in the neighborhood.

garagesale 026-3

We really should do this more often!

Have a lovely weekend,
M

5 comments:

Keaghan said...

My mom wants to have a yard sale soon, too. We'll probably end up having one sometime this summer.

(By the way...I had an Easy-Bake oven just like that when I was little. And I love your "SALE" sign--so pretty and bright.)

A Reformed Hippie said...

That 'sale' sign is awesome!

Ellyn said...

Oh, I LOVE your sign. It's so colorful!

Sounds like fun - I just went garage-saling today and got a pair of jeans (which I made into shorts, chop chop) and a T-shirt for $3 total!

EasyBake = awesomeness. I loved mine - wonder if I still have it.

Keaghan said...

Margaret, just wanted you to know that your encouraging comment on my blog made my day. :) I was nervous about revealing my characters to the world. Thank you for taking the time to meet them and tell me what you thought. :)

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a lot of fun! :D