Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The Aura, or, Summer's Still Here

Summer. Summer.

It's speeding by. By today, the aura is definitely here: the End Of Summer aura.

[15/25] summer = softball games.
The weather has stopped being beastly (humid and hot) and has started being amicable (sunny 70's-80's). Need I say more? :)

Last night, after the weekly church softball game, I sat on the car's bumper and studied the sunset, inhaled the scented air, and thought about how perfect God created summer to be. It's lovely.

Today, while playing tennis with my brother and a new friend, the sky was blazing blue and the sun was beating down. It was beautiful and fun, and - here it comes - very summer.

This is the summer I've never been readier for. Winter was hard and long, and the arrival of warmth and sun and greenery was balm.

It's a strange to have dreams come to a close that was always coming.

School starts in less than month. Within that month, I still have a lot of summer traditions to pull off: one more week at camp, camping with my family, day trip to Lake Superior, slumber party with my pals . . .

superimposed
Sunday afternoon: Ivanhoe, Atlas Shrugged, and berries. Heaven on earth, I believe!

. . . oh, and I want to keep reading.

The other day, I cracked my algebra book and tried my hand at a few problems. After the pangs of treachery wore off, I found that I liked dealing with that topic of the fall/winter months. I can't wait for school to start . . . you'll probably be hearing more on that topic in the next few weeks.

The dilemma: Think/plan/dream wildly about the tantalizing future, or soak up/dwell in/simply exist in the very lovely present?

Both, maybe?

6 comments:

Ellyn said...

I keep on insisting to myself that when summer ends, my life will not. When summer ends, my life will not. When summer ends....

AAUGGH!

:)

I have to crack open that algebra book too.

alex anne said...

sounds like you're having a lovely summer!

Jenna Blake Morris said...

I think this summer's been the fastest one yet -- but then, I always seem to think that. I'd love a break from summer weather, but I'm *so* not ready for school again...just because it means I have less free time.

The picture with *Atlas Shrugged* and *Ivanhoe* was amazing!

Jenna Blake Morris said...

I wanted to let you know I've passed the Leibster blog award on to you. There's more about it here: http://literally-ya.blogspot.com/2011/07/liebster-blog-award.html

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Summer's been pretty amazing, hasn't it? I've been waiting for hot weather, but it's just staying pretty warm over here. :)

Small Town Shelly Brown said...

Who opens algebra books? J/K

Fall is kind of fun, isn't it? I love learning. LOVE IT!

Enjoy what's left of summer!