Saturday, August 6, 2011

Beautiful North

My family spent the last few days visiting friends, at their lovely place a few hours north of here. I've never experienced so much in three day's time, and it was all fascinating. To put it simply, a lot happened.

[25/25] northern sunrise.

These are of the cabin we stayed in. It's a rustic, vintage-y place, built in the 40's and filled with odd and ends and books and beds. And so very cozy.

goode morning.
The bed that my sister and I shared the first night. It's built into the wall in the loft, the wall is all windows looking into the forest. I love it!

cabin kitchen

The lake is spectacular . . . clear, mostly cold, and deep. Wednesday night, I managed to swim across it!

clouds and branches and water

gone fishing

And the fishing's alright, too, much to my brother's contentment.

We went to the nearby state park for some adventures . . .

exploring

sparkling
Lack of a swimsuit didn't stop our little pal from playing in the river!

water + sky

It was the perfect day - warm, sunny. Perfect for us tourists! *snicker* We ran all over the trails, gawked at the tallest trees, climbed the fire tower (100 feet is higher than it sounds!), and snacked on candy bars.

My friend took me to the county fair that evening. It was small, unlike the two fairs I usually go to, and I loved the environment.

grandstand

pony cart

drill team

The horse talent show was really fun to watch. I'd never seen a drill team prior to that night, believe it or not! And this pony was very cute - very perky and happy to show off.

I want a horse of my own. Badly.

The midway was definitely a highlight for me - the few rides we went on were splendid, and the evening light paired with the neon light was wonderful.

light sabres

countie faire

Quick question: Am I the only one who is heavily reminded of Charlotte's Web when at a county fair?

glowing

olde carnival

As for food . . . well, I'm just gonna say that mint malts, lemonade, and cheese curds are as good as it gets.

That night, my friend and I spent the night in the library above one of the workshops.

shakespeare at midnight
We started in on "Much Ado About Nothing". Much laughter ensued, and not only because we were bushed!

libraryyyyy.

Isn't it lovely? Don't you want to become a hermit and live there?

1926

It was an altogether amazing trip. I wish everyone could experience one like it! I also wish I had my camera present when the seventy bagels we made came out of the oven. ;)

But the most amazing thing that happened while we were there? We met a new friend - and he met the world. My mom puts it way better than I could . . . this baby's birth is proof that prayer works, and that God loves life.

precious, precious boy

I can't wait to get back there. Good friends, beautiful places, and so much to see and do.
Thanks for reading, much love,
M

2 comments:

Jenna Blake Morris said...

Sounds like fun! And that library is *amazing*.

alex anne said...

looks like a really fun trip! I gave you an award (check it out over here: http://charmingelephant.blogspot.com/2011/08/liebster-blog-award.html)!