Friday, July 15, 2011

Powerlines, trees, and stoplights.

It was a golden evening.

golden

After heavy rains and thunderstorms all day, the sky cleared and we had light.

stand tall

Rich, golden light.


It was a glorious sunset. I stood in the driveway, camera in hand and mind moving fast, watching the sky change light and color in a mind-blowing, beautiful pattern.

layers

The powerlines, trees, and stoplights that plague even slightly urban places were between me and the sky, but I looked on.
And inevitably, I started wishing to be at a place without any of those powerlines, trees, or stoplights.

all this

I wanted a place where there weren't herds of cars driving by, without some of the drivers casting curious stares my way.

lines


Imagine a field with no trees, a hilltop higher than any streetlight, or a lake with no shores. Wide, open spaces.


angled

But I considered the traffic a little more, and I came to a conclusion:
I don't mind lookers-on after all.
Or powerlines, or trees, or stoplights.

cathedral

The clouds were incredible. I don't know how many shades of grey and gold are possible, but I am sure that most of them were up in those clouds.

paint

halfnhalf


lit


I was still thinking, in the back of my mind, about that abandoned hilltop and deserted, powerline-less, tree-less, stoplight-less field . . .


stretched

. . . but sunsets like this one aren't hindered.

And I'm going to

watch them

photograph them

and utterly enjoy them . . .

flare

. . . no matter where I happen to be.
~
For I know the plans I have for you, declares the LORD, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope.
~Jeremiah 29:11

~

2 comments:

*Lizzie* said...

Wow. Those are amazing pictures. The first one is so beautiful...
And the Bible verse Jeremiah 29:11 is my favorite Bible verse!
Awesome post!

Jenna Blake Morris said...

Ah. These were awesome. I love the sunsets, but I think the first one's my favorite. Thanks for sharing!