Friday, January 7, 2011

Margaret Writes

I took this photo during a writing session last October, during NaNo prep. :)

When I started this blog last year, one of the things on my mind was "I can tell people about my writings! How cool will that be to get feedback and opinions?" So ever since then, I had been planning a great, big, interesting, post in writing that would be the neatest thing ever. I have read other writing blogs and love hearing about fellow writer's amazing novels in progress. But the thing is, that post I was going to make was just so cool I couldn't even bear to think about it. *Code for: I never did.* So here is that would-be legendary post, brought down to humanly manageable proportions. :) {Sorry, but I am not to good at giving details about plot, characters, etc., so these are simply the blank facts.}

I have two novels in the works right now. One is quite far along, thanks to NaNoWriMo. The other does not have more than seven consecutive pages written, but it definitely my favorite of the two. :) One of my 2011 goals is to finish (and I mean finish; write first draft, rewrite it several times, and edit) it by June. It's an almost unrealistic goal, but I think that perhaps...just maybe....I could do it. But so much has to be done. Last night, I was typing away on it, when I suddenly stopped to laugh. Because thus far, it is truly laughable. My characters have no idea how to regulate their emotions, so they're mad at each one day and happy to see each other a few days later as if nothing happened last time. And then, the plot is shambles too. So there ya have it: characters and plot, both are a mess. Is there any hope? (Funny, that's the same question my MainCharacter is asking in the story at this point...coincidence? Nooo...)

But the other novel....it's very near to my heart. If you are a writer, you will understand when I say that I love that story. I have known the characters for several years now, and they always surprise me with new facets of personality and backstory. That is truly one of the joys of being a fiction writer: you make new friends and enemies or at least companions when you make a character.

I love this one, but I am beginning ot doubt that I will ever write it. It's like the Splendid Post About Margaret's Writings. So special, so important, that it will never be satisfying enough to minimize on paper. It's better in my imagination, so maybe that is where it will stay. But there are not a lot of absolutes in my writer life, so we shall see. :)

Aside from those two stories, I have many more ides up my sleeve for the future or as inspirations calls. :)

The bottom line: I love being a writer. What else could I say? There is so much to learn and experience in life when you are. You want to live fully to make your writings vivid and fascinating, and the unsavory emotions and experiences in life are turned, in a way, interesting in your efforts to understand them and make them applicable to your characters and their situations.

I love it all.
~~~~

5 comments:

Marianela said...

Hope you can make it to your goal! :) Have fun!

Ellyn said...

So happy you posted! :) <3 Your blog is one of my FAVORITES!

I just know you can whip that Nano novel into shape! Just read a fantasy book you love and then buckle down ^_^

Do you ever find that after you read a certain book, you find yourself writing kinda like that author?? Weird!! Kind of annoying when its a bad book...

Very random.

Love!

Anonymous said...

Awesome, Margaret! I love being a writer, too! Isn't it just awesome?!

Lily said...

(: Do what Ellyn said.....'Whip that novel into shape!'

Oh, and I awarded you. :)

Claudia said...

Good post, I find creativity (inspiration?) to be an ebb & flow sort of thing. When I'm at a low I know I just need to wait a bit for it to come back, fortunately it usually comes rather quickly. But I have had times when it's taken longer :(
Looking forward to hearing you are getting closer to completing that novel!
p.s. - I just now figured out who you are on flickr! You're kind of stealth aren't you? ;D