Monday, January 31, 2011

It's moving.


"They were the best of times, they were the worst of times."

I am talking about November. :) Remember that novel I started to write back then? I had about 50,000-something words when I won NaNoWriMo, and the first draft was far from completion. I told myself, You will finish it in December, and in a few days, too. You won't stop at this point.

Haha. The tyranny of the urgent is very real. I barely scratched that manuscript for all of December, but I did let thoughts like, It's bad, really bad, and you have no need to even try to finish something as abhorrent as that novel stay in my head for a few weeks.

So December was an off month. And so was most of this January. On my 2011 resolutions/aspirations list is "Finish Cadish the White by June". (That's when the deal is up for my own proof copy from CreateSpace.) But I... well, I just never thrust myself into it.

But now, things are moving, inching forward, again. I asked my grandpa to be my, um, drill sergeant, so he's making sure I don't skip days of writing. If I know someone is going to be asking how much I wrote, I will write enough to tell them without qualms or shame.

The novel still needs major shaping, pacing, and other important factors, but... at least I'll have a written first draft sometime soon. Then I can edit, inject all the thought-provoking facets I want, and maybe even salvage the minor characters. *wink*

Stuff to do, places to go, right? :)

The other night, I let my Inner Editor get the best of me and felt the need to open Paint and... do something with those nit-picky thoughts! So I made the official teaser to my novel:

Teaser

It's sloppy, I know. But it sure felt good to laugh at myself!

Signed with a grin,
Margaret

PS-Please pray for my dear friend, Guinivera; she severely broke her wrist over the weekend.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job for succeeding! I only got to 30,000 :P

Anonymous said...

OH MY!!!! That is SOOOOOO funny!!!! :D

Ellyn said...

Poor Guinivere :*(

But your ad made me laugh! haha. I wonder what I could have said for the first draft of Torn Heart... :P

Good luck with your drill sergeant - that sounds like a really awesome idea.