Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Tuesday Night Magic

I have played the violin for about 7 years now. I used to hate it with a passion, thinking it was boring and useless and extremely hard. But I am over that now, thankfully. Two years ago I started private lessons with a new teacher, which completely changed my view on this wonderful instrument. She is a professional cellist, but she is also good playing the piano and the violin. My brother, also a cellist, had been taking lessons from her for about two years when I started with her. I was apprehensive at first, for this was the first new teacher I had in five years! My old teacher had been the easy-going director of the small beginner orchestra I had started out in. She was a good teacher, but with as many children as she had to teach, I got little attention and my playing did not improve much in five years. But I was still sad when she announced that she was retiring. Anyway. Back to the near past. After one year with my new teacher, I had made leaps and bounds with my playing and was having a great time, too. Yes, I was having fun! I look forward to Tuesday night lessons and try to live up to my teacher's hopes for me. She likes it I move with the music, which I am still shy about, and is all about resonance and good tone.
I still get discouraged sometimes when I practice at home. When I play my exercises for my wonderful teacher, and especially when she plays them with me, I get volume and splendid sound that I used to only dream of. It's like magic, what she does. I still have much to learn and far to go, but the dislike and anger I used to feel when I played the violin has been replaced with happiness and satisfaction with the music I make.

3 comments:

Abigail Hastings said...

A BLOG!!!!! YAAAAAYYYYYYYY!!!!! I ran around the house shouting my head off that you have a blog now. so SO SOOOOOO exciting!!!!!!!!! YAYYYYYYY

Abigail Hastings said...

Oh, and by the way I agree. the teacher is what makes or breaks it when it comes to music I think. I am glad I have a good band teacher. (and I will be sure to tell all my other blog friends about your blog. what a good first post! You are the perfect sort of person for blogging!!!!)

Mia said...

Why thank you! I am glad that this is making you happy. I like it too. :)