Wednesday, December 1, 2010

This Christmas

December 1st! Christmas draws near! Everyone I know is excited. I am, too. I love Christmas. But this year, I think that I might be loving it in a different way.

Christmas is the celebration of Jesus' birth. Before it partially morphed into a day in December centered around buying stuff, decorating stuff, and doing stuff that you usually don't do {bringing trees indoors, etc.}, it was for remembering Jesus and the awesome things God used Him for. I have really lost sight of that. Of course, my family reads the Christmas story from the Bible each year and lights Advent candles and keeps it real, but it had become simple routine for me.


Due to changes in the family and such, this Christmas is probably going to be without lots of the usual trimmings, and now I see that God planned things thus so that I could get a really good perspective for seeing the real meaning of Christmas. The Jesus meaning. While family and thankfulness and love are nice themes to attach to Christmas, it is really for the remembrance of Jesus' arrival on earth.

So this year, I am going to look for God's Son everywhere.

~~~~

4 comments:

Lily said...

Love the new look!

And I know what you mean about focusing more on God this Christmas: without my grandma, things are going to be really different. Focusing on Jesus' birth, though, takes away most of the sadness.

Love and prayers,
~lily

alex anne said...

AHHHH! (<-- Excited scream) This is soo inspiring!!! And I totally agree. Lately I've had an overflow of ideas--things I want to do for other people. Because, really, the best part of Christmas for me is the giving. But anyway, great post. And awesome that you're focusing on the story of Jesus. :D

-Charming Elephant

Tessa Emily Hall said...

Great post!

I'm really the only one in my family that 'loves' traditions - and recently (as in the past couple of years) our family hasn't been doing some of the traditions we usually participate in during Christmas, mostly because of a death in the family and things like that. It is really disappointing, because Christmas is so meaningful to me and I just love being with the family, sharing gifts and all that. But you're right, maybe that happens so that we can learn the true, raw meaning of Christmas. You don't need to do any kind of tradition to celebrate the birth of Christ.

Thanks for sharing this. =)

Tessa

Ellyn said...

I totally agree...its the same thing over here. I'm getting a decisively different feeling about Christmas. It's kind of nice, actually :)